Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy Birthday and Hour on a Saturday

Varga Bar

My family and I recently went to Varga Bar to celebrate my sister, Catherine’s birthday. Varga is one of our favorite bar/restaurants to go to in Midtown Village of Philadelphia because of its delicious food and wonderful staff. We went on Saturday at 5pm which was great because they offer Happy Hour (half off drinks) from 4pm-6pm. I don’t know of many places that do that on a Saturday.

 Varga Bar features All-American craft beers and comfort food in a casual, pin-up themed bar/restaurant. It’s nice because if you’re indecisive of which brew you would like to drink, the staff recommends an acquired taste and lets you try. Catherine didn’t know if she would like the Smuttynose Smoked Peach Short Weisse, so she got a sample and loved it! She decided to go with it. My dad got the Captain Lawrence IPA and I got the Susquehanna 6th Generation Stock Ale. My mom got one the special drinks, “Miss March” which is a grapefruit margarita! Of course, my brother Matthew had water because he’s only 13!

To accompany our drinks, for an appetizer, we ordered the Beer Battered Pickles which come with a smoked paprika aioli. These pickles are so delicious that you could eat a whole serving yourself!

My dad ordered the sausage sandwich which was one of the specials for the night, my mom ordered the Varga Salad, Catherine ordered the cheese plate where you can choose your pick of three cheeses, Matthew ordered the Kobe Burger and I ordered the Eggplant Sandwich.

Since I gave up meat for lent, I decided to go with the Eggplant Sandwich. Now this isn’t your typical eggplant parmesan sandwich. This meal included: manchego, parmesan, sprouts, pickled red onion, organic greens, heirloom tomato, rosemary aioli, marinara, mixed green salad. I loved the twist of having manchego cheese and the sandwich being on a ciabatta roll. The bread really soaked up all the flavors.

Varga Bar never fails to disappoint. The atmosphere, drinks, food and staff are simply amazing. Varga is also great for brunch, so be sure to check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment